Sunday 18 December 2016

Mastering your Mean Girl

I confess I'm a girl who has a nasty Mean Girl inside ready to tell me things I don't want to hear like, "You're not good enough, you're a slack Mum, you're not a good enough friend, wife" etc. You know the kind of inner talk that's not at all helpful.


I watched Melissa Ambrosini being interviewed by Jules Sebastian (Guy Sebastian's wife) about her new book on Tea with Jules and was intrigued.


What I learnt

To think about every decision, in every day, to be based on love not fear. For example, going to the gym because of love - how it makes my body feel strong and flexible, not because of fear - because I'll get fat and flabby. Basically it's about having a different mindset and making decisions based on positive factors rather than focusing on doing things out of fear.


I also learnt about saying no, letting go of things (often from the past) that I still get hung up over. I learnt to surround myself only with people that make me feel good and stop wasting time on those that don't.


Another frustration is expectations - expecting others to do things to the standard that I expect. We are all working on a different operating system and by dropping my expectations I will be more satisfied with interactions with others.


I try to spend at least a small part of every day things about the things in my life for which I am grateful (normally on my morning bus commute). There are lots of things to be grateful for - health, family, love, food, job, safety, living in beautiful Brisbane and the choice to live my life the way I want to.


I'm also realising that I need to believe that I'm worth it before others will think the same thing.

It got me thinking about who my top 5 friends are and why I love them so much - love you Mr P, Anita, Susannah, Angela and Amy (you know who you are)!


And finally I started thinking about what legacy I want to leave behind. I think for me to be considered a good Mum by my kids would be the ultimate compliment. Oh and of course to be a loving wife would be great too. I also want to be known as a good friend, good employee and someone that's always trying to do their best and keep on improving. What's your legacy? Maybe one this blog will be mine.


If you want a read that can help you think about how life is a rollercoaster that we can all take control of, this might be the book for you. There's lots of exercises at the end of each section to help you cement and practise your new learnings. The book also covers meditation and mindfulness (both of which I was already a massive fan of).


Melissa's book is available on iBooks or at any good bookstore.

Until next time xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment