Sunday 20 December 2015

My Diet

Good genes

I am lucky, as I was one of those kids who was skinny as a child and teenager, so much so that I was teased about it and at the time it wasn't the appealing type of skinny, rather it was the gawky type. Whilst I hated that when I was young, during my 20s and 30s I realised how lucky I was to start from that place.


Up until my early to mid-30s I could pretty much eat whatever I liked with no impact. But by about 35 I started to notice a gradual increase in weight to where I moved up a couple of clothes sizes.  I was in denial.

The Epiphany

Following an overseas trip and playing back the many hours of video Mr P had captured, I realised very clearly that I really didn't like what I could see of myself from the rear end.  Sometime you look at yourself without really seeing. I was really pretty unhealthy.


From that day I cut out the crap from my diet. No cake, no chocolate, no soft drinks, no dessert and in 6 months I had dropped 8 kilos and felt amazing.  It was surprising how much a little tidy up of the diet could achieve. But I hit a plateau and that stopped working. I didn't have much more to lose but those last few kilos are tricky.

Getting serious about it

I read 'Losing the Last Five Kilos' by Michelle Bridges and learnt so much:


  • You have to be committed or it won't work
  • You have to be prepared to do the work
  • Understanding the sheer amount of exercise required to burn excess calories (you can't out-train a poor diet)
  • You need to eat less and move more
  • My then lifestyle supported weight gain (I wasn't doing the right things)
  • As we age we generally consume more calories while our bodies burn less and therefore we gradually gain weight
  • Willpower is a muscle that needs to be exercised - the more you challenge it the stronger it gets (a work colleague exercises her willpower by giving up something each year - last year it was chocolate, this year it's cake and next year it's lollies)
  • I needed to create new (healthy) habits to replace the unhealthy ones

Falling off the wagon

I let eating well slip during our recent trip to the USA and Canada because, well, we were on holidays and we only do a 'big trip' once every 5 years.  I was keen to sample as many different types of foods as I could and I can't possibly deny myself a canolli if they're available. And did I mention I was on holidays.


So I'm back at it working my diet and fitness routine until I get to the place I want to be and then I'll return to maintenance mode.

What works for me is calorie counting, trying to reach optimal nutritional levels, exercising regularly and weighing myself daily.  I won't deny, the first few weeks back were tough, reeeeeally tough, but like anything it gets easier with time and especially when the cravings for cannoli eases.


My app of choice is My Fitness Pal.  I use it to track what I eat, the nutritional breakdown of that, how much water I consume, my weigh-ins, my steps and when I exercise.  I find the app supports me to achieve my goals and keeps me focused.

I've tried shakes and restrictive types of diets but what works best for me is a healthy balanced diet and portion control.  I don't beat myself up if I eat too much of this or that, rather I work treats into my diet plan and when we do go out for dinner I enjoy myself, but I plan ahead to allow for it.

Undeniably better nutrition and exercise not only results in gradual weight loss, it gives me more energy and overall an improved wellbeing.

When I have gained weight it occurs in my mid section, around my tummy, and as the health authorities warn that's the most dangerous place to gain it.  I use that as an incentive to try and keep it off.

Staying in shape takes effort (lots of effort) and it's certainly not down to luck any more. Like Michelle Bridges says - consistency, consistency, consistency. When I've reached my goal I take photos because I'm proud of what I've achieved and how healthy I am and feel.



But again I will reiterate that this is what works for me.  I've been eating better for 5 years now and introduced exercise 3 years ago so it's part of my everyday lifestyle. I'm also blessed to have a family who is always supportive and encouraging. Thanks FamBam

Until next time

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment